Saturday, March 31, 2012

Rwanda - Day 7

January 29
Well last night wasn't so good for Elina, she had a root canal done and it is infected.  Last night she was hurting so bad that Jemrose at 2:00am had to catch a motor scooter into Kigali to go to a 24 hour pharmacy and get her some antibiotics. I must of been pretty tired cause I heard none of this movement.

This is Dieudonne, the boy in the chair, and Elina - the day before her emergency night

This is Claudine
This is Faustin playing on my Blackberry phone, games


These are all of Jemroses children names:
Dieudonne, Innocent, Elina, Jane (Jeanne), Claudine, Marie Claire, John Paul; Jean Paul (JP), Eric, John Peter, Faustin, Sunday (Jean Claude).  I only have 5 of them in pictures.

I got up at 6:45am and made some toast and tea and sat out on the front porch and listened to the birds. 
When Jemrose got up and told me what had happened I knew this would be a long day.  We caught a motorbike to the bus station to catch the bus towards Bugesera, where the church was located.  Also one of Jemroses sons goes to school across the road from the church, John Paul.  We got to the bus area and climbed on a bus always watching our watches.  The bus didn't move and no one else came to get on so we decided to catch another motorbike to the church.  We were a bit late but caught the last of the worship....I felt at home, safe and warm.  It was so great.  I could of danced in the isles.  The message was wonderful too.  I just relaxed and prayed for strength for Jemrose after last night.
After church we walked up to the school to see John Paul.  We found him preaching at the school.  That was also very cool.  The students were so sweet.  You could feel Jesus everywhere.  John Paul is in his senior year there then he will go to the university if his test scores are high enough.
After this we walked to the bus stop to catch a mini bus.  We went back to the bus area close to the house and took a bicycle ride down to the house.  These guys don't have helmets but do all the same driving tactics as the motorbikes.  So I was in my jumper and had to sit sidesaddle.  It was actually fun.  You go slower and they swerve a bit more to miss the holes and bumps.
When we got home Jemrose made us lovely sandwiches with croissant, Avocado, tomato cucumber and pepper and a cabbage salad and Mayo.  YUM!  I have to tell you I am allergic to citric acid... when I eat tomatoes here or for that matter anything so called fresh I break out with sores in my mouth, canker soars.  Over there I never got one and I ate the stuff all the time.
Jodi came and picked me up so we could go out to the handicap orphanage and deliver some of the goodies I took over there.  We had Emmanual with us and his helper.  Emmanual is going to the university and Jodi found him a sponsor through her organization.  We drove out of town for quite awhile.  The only wild life I actually saw were two monkeys and by  the time I found my camera they were gone.
There are 11 children living here.  One was in the hospital.  We gave them enough color books, crayons, stuffed animals, wooden cars and a couple soccor balls for all 11 children.


Emanuel is on the far right.  The girl standing up had her arms macheted off during the Genocide, if I remember the details all right.
After our visit here we went to Emanuel's house and left all the calenders I brought.  He makes the beads and sells the necklaces and such to help pay for his tuition and things he needs.

This is Emmanuel in his house holding some of the calenders I gave him




On our way home from the orphanage we got a flat tire.  At first there were only a few people watching but by the end we had a crowd.  The gentleman in the pink shirt finally changed the tire and got us on our way.  I slipped him some franks---cant tell you how much, but it was a big number on the paper money for helping us.  I was so grateful for his help and calmness.

Jodi trying her hand under the car, to get the jack situated right.

We had the crowd gather, I stood watch as the tire got changed.  That's why I have a husband, just for these moments.:)

These next pictures were taken on our way to and from the orphanage.




This is a trumpet tree. 

They have goats in Rwanda... I took alot of random pictures of goats.

A young man hauling roofing material on his bike



These are fish ponds.  They raise a white fish, tolopia

One of the buildings we went past.
A Catholic Church

A young man pushing his bicycle up a hill with alot of weight.  Could be charcoal, some sort of veg., beans or rice.
There is a natural fence line here.  The make them out of this tree that will make a fence.  Its very cool looking.  Its like a succulent plant of some sort.
This is the only picture that looks like I was really in Africa!
When we got home from out trip the kids had dinner ready for us.  What great kids.
Jemrose got home a little later and we were all in bed by 9pm. 


Farm News:

Today the weather is rain.  I went out at 7am and cleaned the milk parlor while the girls fed our 4 babies - 2 lambs (freezer meat) 1 new sannen buck, and supplementing a boar doe kid.  Then I headed off to the processing plant to put my feta into buckets and into the cooler for 5 days.  The chevre I hung is looking good.  And this afternoon I will turn the Grande Rosa over.  House bound today... Our car is getting a new engine, our bulk tank is holding the temperature _ after spending a large amount of money and having to have the guy come out about 5 times. 
Danyel has an interview on Tue for a job at the Feed Store in Longview, keeping my fingers crossed.  Ali is going to be working on her drivers license - cause if Danyel gets the job Ali will be doing markets until she leaves for college in Sept..
David is at the first Proctors Farmer's Market this year.  We haven't got our health permit so we cant sample our cheese.... the usual no money thing.  We will get it this week so in two weeks we will be back sampling.  David is bearing the elements - rain, wind, cold to sell our cheese.  He will stop on his way home this afternoon to drop off a cheese order to a restaurant in Olympia.
No more babies born last night.  So we will be  watching those Nigerians very close... we are putting the baby monitor up there in the barn so we can hear them.
Have a great day and stay dry and look on the bright side:)








No comments:

Post a Comment